Finalists for the award are:
• North Central Region: Drew Cook, Garner High (Wake County Schools);
• Northeast Region: Clay Wagner, Riverside High (Martin County Schools);
• Northwest Region: Kelly Withers, Jesse Carson High (Rowan-Salisbury Schools);
• Southeast Region: Glenn Reed, Blue Creek Elementary (Onslow County Schools);
• Southwest Region: Hilda Batts, AT Allen Elementary (Cabarrus County Schools);
• Sandhills/South Central Region: Sara Bigley, Pinehurst Elementary, (Moore County Schools);
• Piedmont-Triad/Central Region: Patrice Faison, Oak Hill Elementary (Guilford County Schools); and
• West Region: Brad Teague, East Rutherford Middle (Rutherford County Schools).
The Wells Fargo North Carolina Principal of the Year program is sponsored in partnership with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. In its 28th year, the program provides a unique opportunity to recognize outstanding principals from North Carolina public schools. The award recipient will receive $3,000 for his or her school and $3,000 for personal use. He or she also will receive a scholarship for a 10-day educational tour of China sponsored by EF Education First. The Principal of the Year serves a one-year term as advisor to the State Board of Education.